By Tom Nader
Publisher and Editor
PORTAGE QUIZ BOWL SCOREBOARD
TUESDAY, JAN. 24, 2023
Rootstown 2395, Streetsboro 135
Rootstown 225, Streetsboro 75
AND CHAMPIONSHIP SCENARIOS
Tuesday, Feb. 7
All matches at Garfield High School, with dinner and awards to follow. All games begin at 4 p.m.
Garfield def. Brunswick by forfeit (transportation issues)
Western Reserve Academy-Cloverleaf
• With the forfeit, Garfield wins the 2022-23 Portage Quizbowl League with a 10-0 record.
• Brunswick (1-9) is relegated to the Second Division. Whether they will be in the North or South section is to be determined.
SECOND DIVISION — NORTH
• Bedford (8-0) will win this section with two wins over Rootstown (8-0). Rootstown will win this section with two wins over Bedford.
SECOND DIVISION — SOUTH
Windham-Lake Center Christian
• Southeast leads the section at 6-2; it can win the section and promotion with two wins (or a win and a tie) over Mogadore.
• Mogadore, Waterloo and Lake Center Christian are all 5-3.
• Lake Center holds the head-to-head tiebreak over Waterloo (2-0) and over Mogadore if all three teams end with 7-3 records (3-1 v tied teams, Mogadore would be 1-3; this would eliminate Mogadore and reduce it to head-to-head with Waterloo). If Lake Center Christian wins both games against Windham and Southeast loses one or both games against Mogadore, they win the section and promotion.
• Waterloo holds the head-to-head tiebreak over Mogadore (2-0). Waterloo needs to win both games over Field, needs Mogadore to win both games over Southeast, and needs Lake Center Christian to lose at least once to Windham to win the section without a tiebreaking game. If Mogadore splits with Southeast, this would force a tiebreaking game for Waterloo against Southeast (both teams 7-3, 1-1 against each other).
• Mogadore was 1-1 against Lake Center Christian and 0-2 against Waterloo. Mogadore needs to win both games against Southeast and also need both Lake Center Christian and Waterloo to not win both games against their opponents to win the section without a tiebreaking game. If Mogadore and Lake Center Christian win both games while Waterloo does not, this would force a tiebreaking game (both teams 7-3, 1-1 against each other).
Leave a Comment